At S&ME, we recognize the vital role we play in shaping a sustainable future and acknowledge our responsibility to address environmental, social, and governance (ESG) challenges. We are committed to ESG principles in all aspects of our operations to create positive and lasting impacts on the communities we touch.
Acting as stewards of our environment for future generations, we are dedicated to minimizing our environmental impact and promoting ecological sustainability. To achieve this, we:
- Planning responsible waste management practices, recycling materials whenever possible, and reducing overall waste generation.
- Pilot study of baselining our Greenhouse Gas (GHG) emissions in Tennessee on water use, energy use, fleet miles driven and unrecycled trash. During 2024 this will be instituted in more offices.
- Incorporate environmentally responsible and sustainable practices into the services we provide to our clients.
- Engage with partners who share our commitment to environmental responsibility.
Our Sustainable Services include:
- Brownfields Redevelopment
- Greenhouse Gas (GHG) Air Monitoring and Reporting for Landfill and Industrial Clients
- Sustainable and Adaptable Infrastructures
- Geotechnical Earthquake Engineering
Read our Environmental Policy Statement.
We understand that our success is interconnected with the well-being of our employees, stakeholders, and the communities in which we operate. We prioritize:
- Cultivate a diverse, inclusive, and safe work environment that fosters employee growth, health, and work-life balance.
- Our Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Acceptance, or the S&ME IDEA Council, champions and coordinates S&ME’s efforts to develop and nurture a culture of belonging across the company footprint so that every employee feels that they are truly accepted and that they belong at S&ME. The group is actively working on goals related to training, communications, events, diversity and inclusion diagnostics, providing resources, and driving local engagement.
- Contribute positively to local communities by supporting educational programs, infrastructure development, and charitable initiatives.
- We pride ourselves on our emphasis on service and giving back to the communities where we live and work. Our offices across our footprint are actively involved in service projects throughout the year, including river clean-ups, STEM outreach, planting trees, food banks, food & toy drives. and much more.
- Foster open and transparent communication with stakeholders, actively seeking and incorporating feedback to improve our social impact.
- Empower employees to pursue rewarding careers while also prioritizing their wellness, health, and safety.
- Support our communities through volunteer activities and charitable fundraising efforts.
To maintain the trust of our stakeholders and ensure long-term sustainable growth, we are committed to:
- Upholding the highest standards of ethics, integrity, and corporate governance throughout our organization and living our Core Values:
- Listen First
- Work and Grow Together
- Do the Right Thing and Do Things Right
- Do What You Say
- Lead From Where You Are
- Be Safe
- Comply with all relevant laws, regulations, and industry standards, and continuously monitoring and improving our governance practices.
- Evaluate and mitigate risks to safeguard the interests of our employees, clients, shareholders, and the wider community.
- Foster a culture of accountability and shared sense of ownership amongst employees as a 100% employee-owned firm with an Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP) benefit.
- Promote independence and diversity of our Board of Directors to offer various perspectives on our business practices.
We recognize that the journey toward sustainability requires ongoing dedication and continuous improvement. As an engineering firm, we are uniquely positioned to influence positive change through our projects, innovations, and collaborations. Our ESG commitment reflects our vision for a prosperous, inclusive, and ecologically resilient future, and we invite our stakeholders to join us on this journey. Together, we can build a positive world for future generations.