USS North Carolina Battleship Cofferdam and Memorial Walkway
To support refurbishing efforts with the USS NC Battleship, S&ME worked with the design team, Battleship partners, and the North Carolina Department of Natural and Cultural Resources (NCDNCR). Work included design and construction of a cofferdam surrounding the ship, construction of a new memorial walkway that surrounds the ship, and then the use of the cofferdam to lower the water around the ship to replace the hull. The last portion of the project was removal of the mast and refurbishing it with new paint.
- Environmental services including helping obtain the proper CAMA permitting
- Geotechnical services for the cofferdam design and memorial walkway support
- Construction services and special inspection during construction of the cofferdam and memorial walkway
- Construction services, NDE, and coatings services during the hull repair phase
- NDE and coating services during the mast refurbishing
The American Council of Engineering Companies of North Carolina announced their Engineering Excellence Awards for 2020, selecting the project for an Engineering Excellence award in the Studies, Research, and Consulting Engineering Services Category.